Monday, November 1, 2010

Happy when we're hiking

I'm so excited. I'm on THE Appalachian Trail. My dream to go the distance is tangible and rocky...years of planning ahead...I'm thinking 2022 for those of you that want to pencil it in and join me on the adventure of your life.

From the top of the bluff across the river from the town we enjoyed the view and lunch we packed in and sunshine on our toes. Thank you ST and GW for inspiring this photo.

After coming down, we couldn't resist the water...or the cool trees along the river's edge perfect for climbing.

The hike starts in town. We crossed the bridge, then were on The Appalachian Trail along a tow path for a canal, then up through woods and around and down to the bluffs to the left of this picture. Then we returned to down via the river wading and tree climbing for ice cream and 1860 Election reinactment. I voted for Steven Douglas as Abraham Lincoln was not on the ballot for any southern states. One of the questions I was asked when I went in to vote was if I was a person of means. (Vagrants were not allowed to vote--women either but they didn't asked about that.) When I got to the front of the line, I handed the election judge my ballot (given to me by townspeople for each of the candidates) As they took my ballot they loudly called out "Vote for the Honorable Steven Douglas" so it could be tallied by the other election worker. I guess secret ballots came later...




1 comment:

Tina said...

Have you read A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson? It is a humorous/serious book about his attempt at hiking the Appalachian trail in its entirety. A good read!